Sunday 15 November 2009

Journey's "Don't Stop Believin'" is back in the UK Charts???


Ranked at the number 28 in the UK Top 40 at this very minute is Journey's "Don't Stop Believin'". Surprising isn't it? Recently, Joe McElderry, a contestant on UK's X-Factor, sang this song on their live show which probably appealed to every single one "small town girl living in a lonely world". Imagine you're a 13 year old girl, watching TV and see this sensitive gorgeous young man singing this, it might come as a revelation: "Oh My God! This is so me!!! I need Itunes NOW!!! Arrrrrhhhh!!!" Pure craziness!
But this isn't bad at all. If I had a child and if he or she wanted to buy this track, I'd be more than happy to buy it. At least I would be sure this is a positive track unlike so many tunes you can find featuring a pathetic guy like Akon saying "Heeeeey hooooo sexy b***h!".

1 comment:

Brooksie said...

Legitimate comment here - not spam: Joe McElderry WRECKED this song with his weedy cocky delivery. I'm sure there are tons of girls who will relate to being a "small town girl living in a lonely world" because it plays into the teenage psyche. But I'm equally sure 99% of them will not be lonely at all, even though they will *feel* like they relate. "Imagine you're a 13 year old girl, watching TV and see this sensitive gorgeous young man singing this" - as opposed to a preening, insincere, pretty boy? Music really shouldn't be tied to karaoke contests in which looks win the bulk of the votes.
On another note; 'Don't Stop Believing' was never really 'in' the UK charts before. It stalled at something like # 62, which, since the UK always used a top 40, means it was never a hit. Also, prior to the advent of US TV using the song in soundtracks / the existence of the internet - 99.999999% (r) of people in the UK would never have heard of Journey, let alone this song.
(PS: I know this came of as somewhat aggressive, but I'm not attacking you at all Breena! I just love the song and don't like to see it cheapened)